Day 26 of the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge

This piece was composited by layering several coats of wax medium over the ground and then pressing the objects into them. Stamps were used to embellish the composition, and oil stick was rubbed into the impressions, then the excess was wiped away. A final two coats of medium went over the piece.

I enjoyed making this piece; following my intuition, with no set plan always delights. Thanks for visiting!


Day 15 of the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge

This piece started with a section of an encaustic collage I created 2 years ago using an image of CPR dolls I took with the iPhone. I cut the waxed image to 6 x 6 and fused it to the ground so that it was flush to the edges. I then created the landscape by incising the mountains with the pin tool and incising the river along the natural color divisions in the old piece. I filled the channels with alcohol inks and then used inks and oil sticks to enhance the landscape around the figure. I left the surface clean after fusing lightly, not wanting to obscure the image with wax this time.

I'm really pleased with this piece, especially the process of following the natural variations in color to reveal the hidden landscape. Thanks for visiting!


Day 13 of the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge

This painting started as something completely different. I started with the usual 7 layers of medium, then incised a grid and dropped a different color of alcohol ink into each square. The result was similar to the button piece, visually. I really liked the way it looked but then added some ink to it, and when I wiped away the excess I ruined the effect. I had pressed the letters "raspberry beret" into the piece because of the color and the somewhat musical structure of the design. So I let the ruined painting sit for several days and came back to it today. I decided to paint over the grid with a white version of a pussy hat, playing on the idea of the raspberry beret. I added several layers of color, using oil sticks and mixing red, white and clear wax, then incised the grid over the hat and filled it with red oil stick. Finally I pressed the letters in again and filled them with orange. This time I did not add a final layer of wax medium; I wanted it to stay gritty.

I really like the color play and how the image floats above the grid. Thanks for visiting!